“The heavens declare the glory of God.” Psalm 19.1
Indeed they do.
Below are 31 mind blowing photos of the vast universe God has created, interspersed with quotations from Scripture.
Consider spending some time meditating on what these images mean about our human existence, particularly in light of the Scripture included. You may even experience your own “Overview Effect.”
All of these pictures are real. You can click on any picture to enlarge it.
1) Over 5,000 galaxies in one photo, some so distant you’re seeing them when the universe was 5% its current age
2) Two merging galaxies
3) Messier 104, known as the “Sombrero Galaxy”
4) A group of galaxies
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. (Genesis 1.3-4)
5) A galaxy with a “halo” of dust
6) That pale blue dot in the middle of the right most stripe? That’s Earth, photographed by the spacecraft Voyager 1 about 4 billion miles away
7) A stellar jet in the Carina Nebula
8) The star-crowded center of the Milky Way galaxy
He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names. (Psalm 147.4)
9) In the center is the remnant of a supernova (exploding star)
10) The galaxy Messier 77
11) A dwarf galaxy (only a few billion stars, rather than a few hundred billion, as in our galaxy)
12) A star-forming region
For by Jesus Christ all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. (Colossians 1.16-17)
13) The “Antennae Galaxies” (two galaxies interacting with each other)
14) A “flocculent spiral galaxy” (lacking well defined arms)
15) Messier 82, a “star burst” galaxy
16) The death of a star that was five times the size of our Sun
God’s invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. (Romans 1.20)
17) A group of gigantic stars
18) Two interacting galaxies
19) A massive cluster of galaxies
20) With Saturn in the foreground, that little blue dot is Earth
Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. (Job 38.4)
21) The Orion Nebula
22) A pillar of dust in the Eagle Nebula
23) Another star-forming region, in a nearby galaxy
24) A dust cloud in our galaxy
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. (John 1.1-3)
25) A massive group of stars and dust
26) Part of the Tarantula Nebula
27) The Ring Nebula
28) Two star clusters (the big one in the middle, and a smaller on in the bottom right)
Bless the Lord, stars of heaven; sing praise to him and highly exalt him forever. (Daniel 3.63)
29) The Monkey Head Nebula
30) The Hourglass Nebula
31) A polar ring galaxy
Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord from the heavens; praise him in the heights!
Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his hosts!
Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars!
Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!
Let them praise the name of the Lord!
For he commanded and they were created. And he established them forever and ever; he gave a decree, and it shall not pass away. (Psalm 148.1-6)